Prior to the desegregation laws of Brown vs. Board of Education of 1954, African Americans were barred from attending school. In most places, the only meeting places available for Blacks to gather were in homes and churches. At the same time in Bee County, even Black Veterans were barred from most public places.
In 1917, Theodore Roosevelt originated the beginning of the American Legions, which was intended to be a place to assist disabled veterans after WWII. And in 1919, the American Legion was organized in Texas.
On January 7, 1946, The Charles Major Lytle Post 274A in Beeville received its temporary charter from the American Legion of Texas. Later under the sponsorship of the local American Legion Post 274A, members met to gain permission and authorization to obtain its own building.
In 1953, on a lot donated by Philanthropist, Judge James R. Dougherty, an American Legion building was erected in Beeville, and was incorporated with a new name of "Charles Major Lytle American Legion (CMLAL) Post 818"; named for the first Black soldier from Beeville who was killed in WWII. He died January 4, 1945, when the USS OMMANAY BAY sank after being bombed. Lytle received a posthumous Purple Heart medal. Excluding homes and schools, CMLAL Post 818 was the first building established as an institution in the county and state.
In 1955, under the presiding Commander Lymas Langley, Jr., the CMLAL Post 818, was fully incorporated. Other CMLAL Post 818 leaders were John Mayberry, Ben Lott, George McCarty, and Eugene Langley, Sr.
In the area of segregation, the Post served as a community meeting place. From 1953 to 1963, African American graduates of AC Jones were banned from attending school proms, therefore Blacks segregated Lott Canada and AC Jones integrated graduates used the Post for their proms until 1963.
In 1997, due to CMLAL Post 818 declining membership, the building property was donated to Jones Chapel United Methodist Church and Bethlehem Missionary Church, jointly. However, Jones Chapel turned its share of the property over to Bethlehem Church. And after serious consideration, Bethlehem Church gave sole ownership of American Legion building property to the Lott Canada Alumni Association.
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.